The Alpha Developer's Guide to Xbasic
to purchase this video series.
This guide provides a comprehensive and easy-to-use overview of Xbasic for Alpha developers.
"The Alpha Developer's Guide to Xbasic"
is a 6-hour long video-based overview of Xbasic. The material is organized by key category. Within each category, there are a variety of 10-minute videos that present all of the critical information you need to know in order to take full advantage of Xbasic during your Alpha development activities. You'll also find numerous code examples and demonstrations that you can follow to reinforce what you are learning. Like our "Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Alpha Anywhere" subscription, the approach we take is to:
- Describe a particular feature/capability.
- Explain why it's important.
- Show you how to apply it.
The Alpha Developer's Guide to Xbasic: Volume I
First steps: Introduction and Orientation
- What this video series covers
- What is Xbasic?
- Why learn to use Xbasic?
- Where in Alpha Anywhere can you write Xbasic?
- Getting help
- Using the Code Editor
- Coding in the Interactive Window
Xbasic Programming Foundations
- Xbasic Variables
- Declaring variables in Xbasic
- Assigning values to variables
- Logical testing of variables
- Reading and testing variable values
- Converting variable values to a different types
- Pointer and Array variables
- Session Variables
- Anatomy of an Xbasic instruction
- Writing Xbasic logical expressions
Data manipulation functions
- Time and Date functions
- Time and Date formatting
- Math functions
- Math, Currency, and Financial formatting
- Text string functions
- Text formatting
- How to nest functions
- List, Array, and Collections processing
- Text files: reading and writing
- Calculated fields on reports
- Using message boxes in application testing
"The Alpha Developer's Guide to Xbasic: Volume II"
Controlling program flow
- If... Then... Else
- Case/Select and Select/Case
- While loops
- For/Next loops
- On Error GoTo/Resume
- Xbasic Coding Style
Putting it together: Creating and using an Xbasic function
- Why create an Xbasic function?
- Where can you create an Xbasic function in Alpha Anywhere?
- Creating User Defined Functions (UDFs)
- Declaring an Xbasic function
- Defining input and output parameters
- Passing parameters between Components and Xbasic
- Executing SQL using Xbasic
Final steps: Deploying an Xbasic function
- Debugging an Xbasic function
- Publishing an Xbasic function
- What is an AEX file?
- Why do you use an AEX file?
- Creating and using an AEX file
- Securing Xbasic code